Light Reinforcements: Scrims instead of fabrics
Reinforcements strengthen a sensitive product (respectively object) with another, protective object. The reinforcing object is applied or connected to the surface of the protected object. „Light“ means that the reinforcement fabrics have to be suitable for lightweight constructions.
They protect objects / your products against:
- Compressive load
- Impact, collision
- Tensile loading
- Very high or low temperatures
- Chemical reactions (corrosion caused by acids and alkaline solutions (z.B. alkaline resistant according to DIN/ISO 53857), rust / oxidation by water contact, etc.)
BAFATEX® offers you „BAFA®-scrims“ for lightweight reinforcements – as an ideal alternative to fabrics.
In contrast to conventional fabrics scrims have a multi axial structure (see image).
Different materials (yarns) can be combined and impregnated with application-specific binders (see list below).
Characteristics of Lightweight Reinforcement
When you manufacture a product that is designed to have an effect as a reinforcement (within lightweight constructions), processing technical textiles is an approved method.
BAFA®-scrims are designed with a structure that provides your product with characteristics your customers require from lightweight reinforcements:
- (Depending on the materials) higher or lower elongation and resiliency than conventional fabrics
- Combinability of the characteristics of various materials
- Lower weight
- If necessary: air permeability
- Low costs
You can customize the characteristics of BAFATEX® scrims to your requirements by altering several variables:
- Natural and man-made yarn materials: cotton, jute, flax, ramie, sisal, polyester, polyamid, viscose, carbon fibre, kevlar, Twaron, Bekitex, aramid, fibre glass and Nomex filaments (other materials on request)
- Binder characteristics: soft or hard to handle, waterproof, wash and dry cleaning resistant, heat-sealable, flame-retardant
- Strength of the yarns
- Width of the mesh
- Elongation until point of break (1,7 – 23%)
- Breaking strength (2,2 – 448 N)
- Tenacity (13 – 355 cN/tex)
- Combination of materials and their characteristics
- Angles (and hence force transmission) of crossing threads
- Impregnators (Prepregs)
Range of Applications
Light Reinforcements fabrics are mostly (but not solely) applied in the building sector. They prevent crack formations at internal plaster, exterior rendering and floor screed. Existing cracks can be stabilized. Damages at crack sensitive flagstones and floorings can also be prevented or at least minimized.
When constructing ships, boats, spacecrafts and protection vests the damping of impacts is the most important target.
Whether you construct aircrafts, vehicles, sports equipment, prostheses, machine coatings or completely new developed products: With BAFATEX® scrims you broaden the range of applications and product characteristics.
Know How, Experience and Consultancy
To assure a consistent and high quality of our products we are certified by DIN ISO 9002 (since 1994).
Based on our technical expertise and our experience of decades we would be pleased to serve you with consultancy about the range of characteristics and processing technologies of our scrims.
Technical Literature about Lightweight Reinforcement
As a technical literature for engineers we recommend:
- Lightweight Composite Structures in Transport: Design, Manufacturing, Analysis and Performance
- Advances in Technical Nonwovens