Overstretch protection for foam transfer adhesive tape
We supply producers of (one-sided and double-sided) foam adhesive tape / foam tape and transfer adhesive tape with laid scrims.
Thread scrims act optimally as overstretching protection and to strengthen the tear resistance of your products. Due to their scrim structure, they give carrier-free pressure-sensitive adhesive films a better hold. Moreover, they absorb movements of the connected surfaces without tearing.
On a variety of substrates, scrim-reinforced tapes are convincing not only for their increased tear resistance but also for their longevity. The viscoelastic properties of the adhesive material are supported by our scrims.
Overstretch protection for foam adhesive tape
In the case of foam adhesive tapes, only a thin adhesive film is applied to the top or bottom, covering the peelable films (waxed or siliconised).
Typical foam tape materials used by our customers are:
- polyurethane (PU)
- polyethylene (PE)
- polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
- Ethylene-propylene-diene rubber (EPDM)
- butyl rubber
- cellular rubber
Typical adhesive materials are polyacrylate and hot melt adhesives.
Laid scrims are perfectly suited to absorb the typical tensile forces exerted when manually pulling the foam tapes from the roll and applying them to the surface.
Laid scrim for adhesive and sealing tapes
Air and wind sealing systems in roof and interior construction require particularly resilient adhesive tapes with a long service life, in accordance with EN ISO 10456 (DIN 4108 Part 7):
- For permanent sealing of joints and fitting edges
- To prevent cold bridges
- To prevent moisture migration
- For wind and vapour diffusion-tight bonding of airtight layers
Flexible BAFA®-laid scrims reinforce your sealing tapes. They meet all legal requirements and important industrial and consumer standards. Of course we equip our products solvent-free, where laws, norms and standards require it.
Stabilization for acrylic foam adhesive tape
Double-sided acrylic foam adhesive tapes (also known as Acrylic Foam or Acrylic Bond), unlike the other 900 types of adhesive tape, consist entirely of adhesive.
Until processing, waxed or siliconized films (or protective paper) cover the adhesive film as outer layers on both sides.
Depending on the application, the self-adhesive acrylic foam core is reinforced and stabilized with a scrim and provided with an additional adhesive film.
This special construction allows the adhesive tape to flow into the surface to be bonded and form a physical bond with the substrate. It does not harden, but remains flexible and builds up 100% wetting. Their construction enables scrim-reinforced acrylic foam adhesive tapes to absorb energy and compensate forces – especially on surfaces that are difficult to moisten.
Double-sided acrylic foam adhesive tapes can be stretched by up to 50% without tearing or peeling off. BAFA®-laid scrims can also support this high elasticity due to their diagonal structure (in contrast to fabrics).
Adhesive tapes with an acrylic adhesive mass reinforced by a scrim allow a quick and immediate adhesion. They are cuddly on various substrates and are suitable as a solution for weight reduction – especially in vehicle construction.
Light, rigid, inflexible components with rough surfaces can be fastened quickly and securely in a horizontal or vertical position with our new range of products. Just like other fastening methods, the adhesive tape can also compensate tolerances and gaps on components such as crash pads or deformation elements.
Our range for vehicle interiors has been developed to meet especially the requirements of the automotive industry for VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
The typical sandwich construction of such tapes:
- Silicone-coated PP film
- Polyester fabrics
- Polyacrylate adhesive
What are laid scrims?
Laid scrims are lightweight structures made of yarns / technical textiles that differ significantly from ordinary fabrics:
- Threads run diagonally / multi-axial in 6 to 10 directions. Thus they absorb working forces significantly more effective.
- The threads don’t lie loosely upon and underneath each other. With a „binder“ they are glued permanently at their contact points.
- They are more flexible and simultaneously more stable.
- Their higher structural tearing strength allows wider meshes and a significantly lower weight per unit area.
- You can combine various options of materials, taking benefit of their specific characteristics.
- The threads of the scrim can be equipped with a multitude of impregnations to support the specific purposes of the final product.
For more information about BAFA®-laid scrims click here.
Areas of application for adhesive tape with thread scrim
- Packaging (sealing of cardboard boxes, heavy objects, dangerous goods, etc., wet adhesive tape for sealing cardboard boxes)
- Metal industry (tool making, mould making, mechanical engineering)
- Wood processing industry (furniture industry, carpentry, kitchen construction, model making)
- Adhesive tape for skirting boards in the floor laying area (with BAFATEX scrims the adhesive has more grip, thus preventing the binder from running)
- Automotive industry (especially as double adhesive tape for assembly and fastening of foam parts)
- Double-sided self-adhesive foam tape for insulation, sound insulation, spacers and sealing material for windows and doors.
- electrical trade
- plumbing trade
- jewellery craft
- painter’s craft
- construction industry
- food technology
- Chemical industry
- medical technology
- pipeline construction
- aircraft construction
Processing, mechanical manufacturing processes
BAFATEX supplies yarn scrims wound on rolls. They are designed for mechanical production processes and a high processing speed. BAFA®-laid scrims are characterised by good cutting and punching properties. This makes them suitable both for punching production lines and for manual use by craftsmen and private customers.
You can reinforce your products with several variables and adapt them to your requirements:
- Material, combination of materials and their properties (e.g. soft, hard, heat sealable, waterproof, flame retardant)
- Impregnation / adhesive material
- Width of the mesh
- Breaking load (2,2 – 448 N)
- Tenacity (13 – 355 cN/tex)
- Elongation at break (1,7 – 23% compared to e.g. 80-150% for unreinforced PVC adhesive tape, whereby a scrim has a definable elasticity not only due to its material, but also due to its structure / angle)
- Angles (and hence force transmission) of crossing threads
- Impregnators (Prepregs)
Depending in which characteristics your product shall have we offer you laid scrims of these materials:
Your supplier with know-how and consulting
Based on our experience of decades and our technical expertise we would be pleased to consult you about the range of characteristics and processing technologies of our scrims.
As a matter of course we are certified by DIN ISO 9002 (since 1994) to assure a permanent and high quality of our products.